Tax Information

New employees

All new Western Michigan University employees are automatically added to the Payroll System with a marital status of single and with zero (0) exemptions. If this is how you want to be taxed for both federal and state income taxes then you do not need to do anything. If you want to change your marital status, number of exemptions or have an additional amount of tax withheld you may do so online through Employee Self Services.

The Internal Revenue Service issues new tax withholding tables each year and can be found at their Web site.

Changing your W4 tax information

Employees may change their information at anytime. Elections such as:

  • Claim exempt.
  • Indicate additional amounts to be withheld.
  • Marital status.
  • Number of exemptions.

All of the above can be changed through the Employee Self Service system through GoWMU. Select the W-4 Tax Information option.

Photo of Employee Self Service System

Please note: Non-resident and employees here on a F-1 or J-1 visa should not use this process and should stop in to Payroll for possible tax treaty advantages.

FICA tax exemption requirements