|Responsible office||Board of Trustees|
|Enforcement official||Athletic Administration|
|Classification||Board of Trustees Policy|
|Category||13. Intercollegiate Athletics|
Statement of policy
To establish the purpose and goals for the WMU athletic department as set forth by the WMU Board of Trustees.
The mission of the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics at Western Michigan University shall be to produce NCAA Division IA programs for men and women characterized by excellence in Athletics and Academics while being recognized as a leader among ethical, non- discriminatory, and fiscally well-managed departments. Excellence in athletic programs is determined by academic achievement, the development of character, maturity, and a sense of fair play by student-athletes while being competitive. Excellence in athletic programs is also intended to engender support for the institution among many constituents, including student, faculty, alumni, and friends at the local, state, and national levels. In striving to become a leader among peer institutions, the department subscribes fully to the philosophy and regulations set forth by the Central Collegiate Hockey Association, the Mid-American Conference, and the National Collegiate Athletic Association. The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics operates within the regulations and non-discriminatory procedures established by the Board of Trustees of Western Michigan University.
- To have the University represented by men and women whose conduct reflects credit upon the institution and who are bona fide full-time students making satisfactory progress toward a degree;
- To encourage scholarship, sportsmanship, and fair play;
- To develop among our students, faculty, staff, and spectators a sense of responsibility for proper conduct at athletic events;
- To field well-disciplined and competitive athletes and teams, recruited, coached, and supported by people who are dedicated to the observations of and compliance to all applicable rules;
- To schedule appropriate competition for the athlete and the team;
- To provide superior medical and personal support for all intercollegiate athletes;
- To update and maintain intercollegiate athletics befitting a major state university.
- To share the athletic experience with the community and University families, enhancing the multi-faceted relationships so vital to the University; and
- To provide effective direction according to University policies, including its Affirmative Action policy, and a commitment to minority representation at the University.
- To promote a climate of mutual respect with an appreciation for gender and cultural diversity
- To encourage ongoing evaluation of programs and services by promoting open communication and broad-based assessment by staff and student-athletes
Philosophy and Objectives
- Is an important part of a well-rounded state university dedicated to the service of its many constituents;
- Can and should develop character, maturity, and a sense of fair play and at the same time strive for athletic excellence;
- Is important in engendering support for the institution at the local and state levels;
- Fosters pride in the University among students, faculty, alumni, and friends;
- Generates revenue in part to support the total intercollegiate program; and
- Abides by the letter and the spirit of the law requiring non-discrimination on the basis of sex, race, creed, or national origin.
- To employ coaches and other administrative staff members who are capable of performing as professionals in an educational community where high standards of integrity and ethical behavior, as well as sportsmanship, are expected of its members.
- To recruit student-athletes who are academically prepared for University work.
- To provide equal opportunities for both men and women by developing and sustaining programs, which help student-athletes, achieve their maximum academic and athletic potential.
- To operate its athletics program in a manner that enhances student-athletes educational opportunities.
- To provide financial aid to academically and athletically eligible students earning progress toward graduation, as defined by existing standards.
- To operate its sports programs at the highest possible level of intercollegiate athletics competition and seek to affiliate with institutions demonstrating a similar commitment to academic excellence and institutional integrity.
- To promote character development in student-athletes, consistent with cooperation, teamwork, leadership qualities, group loyalty and the values of the University.
- To ensure student-athletes contribution to the development of institutional morale, loyalty and school spirit.
- To maintain the facilities and medical personnel necessary to augment the physical fitness and skill of the student-athletes, as well as to facilitate the recovery of those who are ill or injured.
- To make available educational substance abuse programs for all student-athletes as well as counseling for student-athletes who may experience instances of abuse.
- To use these athletic events as a means of wholesome recreational activity and entertainment for the participants, the student body and the community.
- To provide a means by which institutional alumni and the public at large identify with the University for mutually beneficial purposes.
- To operate within budgetary guidelines, thus ensuring fiscal integrity and a financially stable intercollegiate athletic program.
Intercollegiate Athletics Program
Member Association Compliance
Equal Employment and Opportunity
|Effective date of current version||August 1, 2017|
|Date first adopted||January 1, 1995|
|Proposed date of next review||December 1, 2021|