Dual Enrollment Program

General information

Currently enrolled high school students in the greater Kalamazoo area may apply to enroll in Western Michigan University classes. The WMU Office of Admissions makes admission decisions, but minimum requirements include a weighted grade point average of 3.0 or higher (seniors need a grade point average of 2.75 or higher).

Dual-enrolled students may opt to use their university coursework to satisfy high school graduation requirements, college degree requirements or both. Additionally, school districts will fund a portion of the tuition and fees for college credits that meet state requirements. Read this article about Michigan’s dual enrollment law for a better understanding of the requirements.

WMU offers a wide range of classes appropriate for high school students. In recent semesters, dual-enrolled students have completed courses in Japanese, calculus, philosophy, literary interpretation and physics, among many others. View this list of suggested courses.

Once admitted to WMU, dual-enrolled students will be assigned an academic advisor in the Office of Pre-College Programming (on-campus students) or in the Extended University Programs (online and regional students). More information about online and regional dual enrollment is available on the Collegiate Pathways website.

The advisor will:

  • Help the students make connections with University resources. The advisor is your first step to finding answers to your questions about dual enrollment. When questions involve other areas of the University, the advisor helps connect you to the correct person to assist you.
  • Keep the students informed of important dates and related information. You will receive emails regarding upcoming deadlines, commonly asked questions, or announcements of events of interest to dual enrolled students.
  • Serve as the students' college mentor. Your advisor is here to help you take the next step to becoming a college student.

We encourage students to work closely with their high school counselors to avoid any conflict with high school classes or activities while attending classes at Western.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Since a dual enrolled student is attending a school beyond the high school level, the student has control over the information in their education record. More information is available on the registrar's page.

How to apply

The online application for dual enrollment may be accessed from the Office of Admissions website. We also recommend reviewing the dual enrollment handbook. The handbook includes suggested courses for dual enrollment options in all of WMU’s academic colleges. Once accepted, a student must fill out the Third Party Agreement form and submit it to their high school counselor so that the high school can indicate how much of the tuition and fees that they will pay.

Dual enrollment orientation

A dual enrollment orientation will be held in April or May for students and their parent or guardian. Free parking and an interactive map are available. Please contact Kimmy Beuchler by email or at (269) 387-4200 if you have any questions.

Counselor information

After filling out the dual enrollment application, an email will be sent to the counselor requesting permission to dual enroll for the student and the student's transcript.

For further information

Please contact Kimmy Beuchler by email or at (269) 387-4200.