Cybersecurity Certifications at WMU
WMU’s cybersecurity certifications are online credentials, taught by faculty experts that prepare you for credential exams in just 8 weeks. Plus, you will receive secure hands-on training exclusively through Michigan’s Cyber Range tm.
Pick one of the four cybersecurity credentials below to find out which one will secure your future in one of the world’s fastest growing careers.
Certification track offerings and schedulesLearn more
Cybersecurity expertsLearn more
CISSO—Certified Information Systems Security OfficerRegister for CISSO
- Addresses industry best practices expected of a security leader
- Implement and maintain cost-effective security controls closely aligned with global industry standards
- Ideal for security officers, risk managers, auditors, information systems owners and system managers
CDFE—Certified Digital Forensics ExaminerRegister for CDFE
- Training in Cyber Crime and Fraud with electronic discovery and advanced investigation techniques.
- Essential to anyone encountering digital evidence
- Ideal for security officers, police officers, attorneys, information technology managers and information systems managers
CPEH—Certified Professional Ethical HackerRegister for CPEH
- Understand vulnerability assessments
- Learn counter response and preventative measures towards network hacks.
- Ideal for information systems owners and managers, security officers and cybersecurity engineers.
CPTE—Certified Penetration Testing EngineerRegister for CPTE
- Information on the “5 Key Elements of Pen Testing:” Information Gathering, Scanning, Enumeration, Exploitation and Reporting.
- Enhance skills to optimize security controls to reduce internet associated risk.
- Ideal for pen testers, ethical hackers, network auditors and information systems managers.
Cybercrime will cost businesses and consumers nearly $6 trillion annually by 2021. The scale and damage of cyber-attacks continues to broaden. Hackers are targeting consumer information and corporate systems the most. The importance of information assurance is at an all-time high around the world and the demand for cyber security jobs is rapidly growing.
Through a combination of online learning modules and lab-based experiential learning, you will learn to track and prevent hackers while trying to break malicious cyberattacks without harming your network. You will put your skills to the test in the Michigan Cyber Range Secure Sandbox where you will practice with real threats.
Flexible CyberSecurity Training on Your Terms
Cybersecurity certifications begin new sessions every few months. All certification tracks are 8-weeks.
The certification tracks are fully online and led by expert faculty with industry experience. The instructors are present every step of the way, via discussion boards, email and chat to answer your questions. You will not have to fend for yourself as you work through learning modules.
Your registration fee includes exam registration. You will have no delays or additional payments to make once you complete the course; you can sign up for your certification exam immediately. The fees cover two attempts.
Michigan Cyber Range and system requirements
Powered by Merit Network, the nation’s longest-running research and education network, the Michigan Cyber Range is the nation’s only unclassified, network accessible cybersecurity training platform.
The Michigan Cyber Range prepares cybersecurity professionals to detect, prevent and mitigate cyberattacks in a real-world setting. Like a test track or a firing range, the Michigan Cyber Range enables individuals and organizations to conduct “live fire” exercises: simulations that test the detection and reaction skills of participants in a variety of situations in a Secure Sandbox.
To access the Michigan Cyber Range and Secure Sandbox, you need Version 10 or above of Adobe Flash Plugin already installed and you need the VMware plugin, which you can download the first time you log in. Use of a wired internet connection is recommended. Your computer should also be equipped with the following:
- x86- or x64-compatible 1.5 GHz CPU or higher.
- DVD Drive.
- 2GB RAM minimum with 4GB or higher recommended.
- 5GB available hard drive space.
You can access your coursework from an iOS device, an Android device, most computers and most web browsers. Although any of the most common web browsers are compatible with the Secure Sandbox, Mozilla Firefox is recommended.