Veterans Services Definitions

Audited courses

You cannot be certified or draw benefits for an audited course.

Changing majors

If you are changing your major you must notify the certifying official in the Registrar's Office and provide a major slip from the appropriate college advising office.

Changing schools

If you are transferring to WMU or from WMU to another school and are already receiving your benefits you need to fill out a change of program or place of training form. This form can be completed online. Submit this form to the school to which you are transferring your benefits.

Drop period

For VA purposes the drop period is a reasonably brief period of time at the beginning of a term officially designated by the school for dropping courses. The school's last day to drop a course will be the end of the drop period providing it does not exceed 30 days from the first day of the term.

Dropping a course

If you drop a course during the term the VA may consider the drop retroactive to the start of the semester or course provided mitigating circumstances exist. If dropping classes changes your enrollment status an overpayment situation may occur.

Guest student certification

If you will be a guest student at another institution you should complete the guest student application and notify the certifying official in the Registrar's Office. A parent school letter will be sent to the other institution indicating that the courses you are taking will satisfy the degree requirements at WMU.

The guest student application can be found online by logging into GoWMU. Select Academic Services and click Guest Application.

Independent study

During a regular semester, independent study can be counted toward your enrollment status, but it is always best to check with the Registrar's Office as other criteria may also apply.


Classes with hours by arrangement or internship may require additional information from your department before WMU can complete the certification process. Please submit any documentation regarding special classes to the Registrar's Office.

Plan of work

The plan of work—also called a plan of study, advising form or individual program plan—should list all course work you will be required to complete to obtain your intended degree. Any class you wish certified to the VA for receipt of benefits must be listed on the plan of work or have written confirmation from your academic advisor that the course will be applicable to your degree program.

Repeating a course

Courses that are failed or for which the grade does not meet minimum requirements for graduation may be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated. Courses that are successfully completed may not be certified for VA purposes if they are repeated.

Unsatisfactory progress

You must maintain satisfactory progress to continue receiving your benefits. The VA will terminate your benefits when probationary status continues past two semesters.

W grades

The VA will not credit a course toward your enrollment status if the final grade is a W. This can lead to an overpayment situation at the end of a semester.