The Faculty Research Travel Fund supports faculty travel to meetings of professional organizations for the purpose of reporting research results, exhibition or performance of creative works, or other means of disseminating the results of Western Michigan University’s scholarly activity. Approved reimbursement limit for the 2017-18 academic year is $800.00.
Apply after travel to receive reimbursement.
- Application (download for a fillable PDF file)
Presenting and publishing papers and exhibits or performances of creative work represent tangible evidence of research, scholarly and creative activities. Therefore, the FRTF is designed to provide financial assistance for bargaining unit faculty to travel to meetings of professional organizations for the express purposes of:
- Reporting the results of original or applied research.
- Exhibiting or performing creative works.
Examples of creative activities funded include:
- MASQUES for piano and brass quintet performed at a public concert at New York’s Carnegie Hall.
- Solo recital, Five Sonorous Inventions, National Association of Music Teachers, National Convention, Dallas, TX.
Examples of travel that are not funded:
- Chairing a meeting or panel without presenting.
- Attendance at meetings as a board member without presenting.
- Serving as a moderator.
- Serving as a commentator.
- One application is accepted per fiscal year.
- The department chair must certify that the professional organization or forum at which the work is presented is of high caliber.
- Reimbursement will be for the following actual, allowable expenses—up to the annual maximum amount approved by the Research Policy Council each September for the current academic year.
- Transportation costs, economy class airfare, and related ground transportation.
- Meals for three days.
- Lodging for two nights.
- Conference or exhibition registration fees.
- Reimbursement will not be made to Funds 25-29. If expenditures are made from grant accounts, they are not reimbursable.
- All expenditures made through the FRTF must conform to the University’s travel policy. All pre-approvals must be attached.
Applications for travel reimbursement from the FRTF must be submitted directly to the Office of the Vice President for Research no later than 30 days from the completion of travel and include the following:
- Completed application form.
- Completed and signed copy of the travel authorization form.
- Completed, signed and approved copy of the travel expense voucher.
- A copy of the conference or exhibition program cover page and a copy of the session page showing the name of the faculty member with the title of either the paper or the creative activity presented. If the faculty member is listed as chair of a panel, evidence that a presentation was made must be provided.
Documents must be received by the Office of the Vice President for Research no later than 30 days from the completion of the travel. Applications received later than 30 days from the completion of the faculty member’s travel will not be honored.
Questions about eligibility or documentation for a trip should be referred to the FRTF program contact at (269) 387‐8270 prior to the planned travel.
Operation of the fund
The FRTF coordinator—(269) 387‐8270—in the Office of the Vice President for Research will administer the research travel fund. The program coordinator will be responsible for the day‐to‐day operation of the fund, in consultation with the faculty liaison. The faculty liaison, who must be a member of the bargaining unit and a member of the Research Policies Council, will be responsible for consulting regularly with the fund coordinator and making recommendations regarding FRTF policies and procedures to Research Policies Council.