New WMU Student Center
Projected opening Fall 2021
A vibrant and distinctive new WMU Student Center is projected to open for the fall 2021 academic semester as part of the south neighborhood transformative projects. The new student-focused Center will be located in the heart of WMU's Main Campus surrounded by student housing, academic buildings and pedestrian walkways.
Intentionally focused on creating a welcoming and inclusive environment, the innovative design includes an array of diverse spaces and customer-oriented retail options. Support for student organizations, affinity space and lounges are integrated into the plan to encourage social engagement and co-curricular activities.
A varied mix of exceptional dining options will be offered featuring restaurant-style dining experiences with fresh prepared-to-order options. Multiple service styles and seating options will cultivate a welcoming and inclusive environment.
The innovative design will cultivate an environment that will:
- Celebrate Western Michigan University’s unique identity and promote Bronco pride.
- Become a vibrant and timeless expression of student life.
- Create a sense of WOW where students are compelled to gather, find meaning and explore.
- Create, foster, and enable a culture of civility, inclusivity and living-learning support.
- Be outwardly engaged to the community and to the globalized world.
- Focus on the student experience - success, wellness, entertainment and dining.
- Create flexible, efficient and accessible spaces inside and out that easily adapt to changes in use.
"The WMU Student Center and Dining Facility is the heart of campus. The Center enriches the student experience socially and intellectually by creating a safe hub of dialogue and a culture of civility welcoming all. Collaboration and Inclusivity are in its architectural DNA which celebrates the Bronco spirit in a socially, economically, and environmentally sustainable setting."