Mindful of One's Surroundings

Posted by Madeline Burda on

Madelina Burda
Public Relations
Religion and Culture in Japan, Summer I 2019

My name is Madeline Burda and I participated in a Japanese religion and culture study abroad program. Upon arrival to Japan, hearing a different language that you have only been studying for two semesters is very nerve wracking, but Japan is very accepting to anyone who is willing to try. I learned quickly that trying and putting yourself out of your comfort zone made a big difference with my interactions in Japan. Japan is significantly different from the United States in the sense that mindfulness with one’s surroundings is key. Everyone in Japan minds their own business and is aware of their actions and their surroundings at all times. This is something that I will model forever. The type of behavior that I observed in Japan is mindful, kind, and respectful behavior that I hope everyone can model. Seats on any mode of public transportation would be offered to those who need it. Any type of waste would be properly recycled. The streets for Japan are spotless. Regarding that on many public streets eating and drinking is frowned upon because an accident or spill could inconvenience someone or pollute the area. However, there are always places to enjoy cheap local meals. I have not had the chance to recreate any local dishes due to the fact that I don’t have access to a kitchen, however, soon I will be starting my next program where I will be living in a dorm with no meal plan, so that should be an adventure!

Categories: Asia, Japan, College of Arts and Sciences, Communication, Cultural comparison, Cooking, Eating, Language, Overcoming challenges, People in public, Personal growth, Presentations abroad, Summer I.