All new beginner and transfer students starting classes in January ARE REQUIRED to attend one of the spring orientation sessions being offered. There are two types of orientation (online modules or a virtual (live) session. Second bachelor and returning students are welcome to participate in the virtual orientation program.
1. ON-DEMAND LEARNING MODULES: The modules are currently open. It may take up to 24 hours for them to appear in your Elearning once registered.
The modules are a great way to get to know campus and the many resources and services available to you as a student. Students do need to register for this program in order to access the modules. Also, in order to meet with an academic advisor and register for classes, you will need to complete the PRE-ADVISING SURVEY provided both in the email invitation and confirmation message at time of orientation registration.in the last module. You only need to complete the pre-advising survey once. Please DO NOT wait until January 11 to start the modules.
- The eight learning modules are housed in E-learning
- Total working time will be 2approximately one hour
- You can complete them in one sitting or multiple sittings
2. VIRTUAL (LIVE) ORIENTATION: To register for this option, see below.
This program contains several components of the on-demand learning modules; however, you will hear from presenters in real time. The virtual orientation is scheduled for Friday, December 18 and does require registration. Students choosing this option will receive a confirmation message with a link to the PRE-ADVISING SURVEY both in the invitation to sign up for orientation and upon actual registration for the event. Completion of the survey is required prior to meeting with an academic advisor in order plan spring course registration. This survey only needs to be completed one time.
Registering for Spring Orientation: Registration is open
To register for the ONLINE ORIENTATION MODULES, please CLICK HERE or log into your Gold Gateway.
To register for the VIRTUAL (LIVE) ORIENTATION, please click on the button below to register for the Virtual Spring Orientation option.
Once you register for either program, you will receive a confirmation message regarding your registration. Students registering for the virtual program will receive a second confirmation within a day or two which will include the pre-advising survey link.
There is a $60 Orientation fee that is automatically billed to student accounts with the spring tuition. This covers programming and staffing for orientation and programming throughout the year.
- TRANSFER STUDENTS: Click here for the Admitted Student Checklist which is designed to help you finalize your college plans.
- FIRST-YEAR BEGINNER STUDENTS, SECOND BACHELOR'S AND RETURNERS: Click here for the Admitted Student Checklist which is designed to help you finalize your college plans.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR WMU EMAIL OFTEN. YOU MAY ALSO NEED TO CHECK YOUR JUNK, SPAM OR OTHER FOLDERS TO LOCATE MESSAGES.
Two-Factor Activation (2FA)
- Please activate 2FA before working with an advisor to register for courses.
- If you have already registered for courses, please complete 2FA as soon as possible.
- 2FA is part of the WMU Login process that requires a second form of identification (your cell phone) when logging in with your Bronco NetID.
- More information at https://wmich.edu/it/2FA
ACADEMIC ADVISING and MATH PLACEMENT:
Virtual 1:1 advising and course registration. Students MUST COMPLETE the pre-advising survey prior to meeting with an academic advisor. The link for the survey is contained in both the orientation invitation email and orientation registration confirmation message. Upon completion of the pre-advising survey, you will receive a message on how to schedule an advising appointment. Be sure to check your WMU email account often.
All incoming students with an ACT Math subscore of less than 27 or SAT Math subscore of less than 640 or non-transferable math course must complete the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment prior to your advising appointment. If your major is within the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, visit: https://wmich.edu/step/aleks. Non CEAS majors visit: https://wmich.edu/math/placement for more details.
Every student starting the in the spring semester will be assigned a Peer2Peer eMentor, an upperclass student who is your virtual guide to success at WMU. eMentors will send you texts and emails weekly with important information and check-ins. Your eMentor is a great resource and by opting in you can you receive the reminders and information they send.
- Check out the video below the eMentors created that explains why to opt in. YouTube Video about eMentoring - Opt in Today!
- The link to opt in to receive text messages can be found here - https://wmich.tfaforms.net/217913
PARENT AND FAMILY ORIENTATION
Parents, families and other guests can view the on-demand orientation HERE.
Parents and families are encouraged to begin making connections now by visiting the Family Engagement website. You can sign up for the WMU Family Connection for helpful e-communications and order your MyWMU concierge card for hotel, restaurant and retailer discounts.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ORIENTATION
International students are required to attend an International Student Orientation. CLICK HERE for more information.