WMU News

Rooms needed this fall for international students

June 19, 2000

KALAMAZOO -- Due to a shortage of available residence hall spaces, some international students arriving on the Western Michigan University campus this August to study English may not be able to find appropriate housing.

The Career English Language Center for International Students (CELCIS) is seeking faculty and staff members or neighbors in the Kalamazoo community who can help out by renting a room in their homes to CELCIS students for the fall semester. The names of those who are willing to rent rooms will be put on a list of people to call, if there are arriving students who have not been able to make residence halls arrangements ahead of time. Most students will arrive Aug. 28.

CELCIS is an intensive English program designed to prepare non-native English speakers to use the language effectively while studying at higher education institutions. Most students usually live in a WMU residence hall so they can interact and practice their English. About 80 percent of these students go on to study in an undergraduate or a graduate program at WMU.

Anyone interested in renting a room to a CELCIS student should contact Laura Latulippe at 616 387-4800 or <laura.latulippe@wmich.edu>.

Media contact: Thom Myers, 616 387-8400, thomas.myers@wmich.edu

Office of University Relations
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5433 USA
616 387-8400