Welcome to the WMU Archives & Regional History Collections
The Western Michigan University Archives and Regional History Collections consists of historical University, regional, and local governmental records. The holdings total over 28,000 cubic feet, making the WMU Archives the largest facility of its type in southwestern Michigan and one of the largest in the state. Detailed finding aids exist for the manuscript collections. In addition to the manuscript collections, the unit has oral histories, census records, a research collection of books, magazines, and newspapers, and several large photographic collections.
Location and Parking
The Archives and Regional History Collections are now located in the new Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center. Please see the location and parking page for details for your visit.
The new facility opened in October 2013. Construction photos and more information.
Hours of Operation
Hours of operation coincide with University semester scheduling. If you are traveling from a distance, please call to verify open hours. Link to WMU Libraries hours schedule - see Archives and Regional History Collections
General parameters for open hours:
- During Fall semester (Sept. - Dec.) - closed Mondays, but open on Saturdays - Closed for Labor Day, Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas, and the week through New Year's Day
- Spring Semester (Jan. - April) - closed Mondays, but open on Saturdays
- Closed for MLK Day in January and University closures for severe weather
- Summer (late April - Aug.) open Monday - Friday but closed on Saturday
- Phone: (269) 387-8490 or (269) 387-8497 | Fax: (269) 387-8484
- Located at 1650 Oakland Drive, Charles C. and Lynn L. Zhang Legacy Collections Center
- GPS coordinates: Latitude 42.276759, Longitude -85.606558
- WMU mail stop 5307