A renovation of the Board of Trustees Fountain outside Waldo Library this summer will impact some access routes to the Library. Waldo Library will remain open during the renovation project.
A number of other construction projects happening around campus this summer may impact travel and parking around Waldo Library.
Just like campus life looks and feels different this semester, so does life in the library. Here's what you need to know about visiting the University Libraries this summer.
- Waldo Library is open for the summer sessions. Be sure to check library hours before your visit and see what to expect below.
- Zhang Legacy Collections Center is open by appointment only for the 2020-21 academic year. Request an appointment and learn more about how to have a safe and successful visit.
- Swain Education Library in Sangren Hall is closed for the 2020-21 academic year. This space will be temporarily used for the Solution Squad, a service hub that provides academic and technical support to students.
- Maybee Music and Dance Library in Dalton Center has been closed permanently. The College of Fine Arts will utilize this space for other activities.
Bring your Bronco Card with you
A Bronco Card is required to enter the building. You will need to swipe your card at the entrance.
Campus return information and policies
We follow all state mandates and university guidance to keep you safe on campus. Read WMU's current policies related to COVID-19, including badging and mask requirements.
Learn more about the WMU's Fall 2021 return to campus.
Masking is required for students, faculty and staff indoors when on campus or any other University-controlled properties with the following exceptions:
- You are fully vaccinated as verified by Sindecuse Health Center as indicated on your badge.
- You have a medical exemption.
- You are the only person in a closed space, such as an office with a door, and visitors are not expected.
- You are in your own campus residence.
- You are eating or drinking.
- You are receiving medical care.
All visitors are asked to wear masks indoors unless they have been fully vaccinated.
Some spaces are open
You can access the lobby area on the first floor to pick up materials and visit the service desk to place material requests, check out course reserves and inquire about the laptop loaner program. Other areas open include:
- Individual study tables on the first floor
- Computing and printing on the first floor
- Learning Glass Studio
- Multimedia Editing Studio
- Virtual Reality Lab
Other spaces are still closed
As a library with millions of items on our shelves, we face unique challenges in sanitizing and cleaning. To help reduce the spread of infection, all book stacks will remain closed for the summer sessions. You may place requests for materials at the service desk. We will retrieve the items for you. We encourage library users to place holds for materials before they arrive to minimize wait times.
The lower level, second floor and third floor remain closed at this time. Other rooms and spaces that remain closed include:
- Group study rooms
- Research carrels
To minimize your wait time, you can place holds for materials online using Library Search before you arrive. You can then pick up materials at Waldo Library or we can ship them to you.
Need help? We're standing by.
Our subject librarians can help you with library resources, citing sources, research projects, class assignments and more. They are available by video chat, phone and email.
For general questions, contact us by phone, email or live chat.
Community user access and guest borrowing
To help limit the potential spread of COVID-19, we have limited access to Waldo Library to WMU users only, and they must swipe their Bronco Cards to enter.
As a result, we have suspended the guest borrowing program and public computer access. We recommend that community users request WMU Libraries materials through the MeLCat program at their public library. MeLCat requests will be delivered to a participating library for pickup. Requests for general computer access will not be honored at this time.
Community users may submit requests for limited access to the government documents collection by using this form.