Student artwork on display at Richmond Center
March 29, 2011 | WMU News
Annual art student show is one of Frostic School's largest exhibits
KALAMAZOO--Western Michigan University's annual art student exhibit runs April 7-21 in the Monroe-Brown Gallery at the Richmond Center for Visual Arts.
The student show is one of the largest events of the year for WMU's Frostic School of Art. Its opening coincides with several activities that highlight the school's state-of-the-art facilities and outstanding student achievements. The exhibit and all related events are open to the public free of charge.
Frostic School of Art Spring Gala
Thursday, April 7
- Student art exhibit opens, Richmond Center for Visual Arts, Monroe-Brown Gallery, 10 a.m.--This year's exhibition juror is internationally recognized artist, jewelry designer and educator Yevgeniya Kaganovich. Kaganovich has received a number of awards and has been published widely. Her recent projects include "Body/Image," which visited the Richmond Center last year; "One from Wisconsin and Frippery: Peculiar Bijouterie or Curiously Adorned," at Museum of Wisconsin Art in West Bend; "Equilibrium" at Rubin Center for the Visual Arts in El Paso, Texas; "Re/action," at Craft Alliance in St. Louis; "Out of the Shell," at Gallery Loupe in Montclair, N.J.; and "Exhibition in Print 2008," which appeared in Metalsmith Magazine. Her work will also be featured in "WestEast Dialogues: The Great Silk Way at the Kyrgyz," at National Museum of Fine Arts in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic, and Museum of Jeweler Art in Ekaterinburg, Russia. Kaganovich has worked as a designer and goldsmith for many years, and currently is associate professor of visual art at the University of Wisconsin‐Milwaukee.
- Awards ceremony, Dalton Center Recital Hall, 4 p.m.--Scholarships, exhibit awards and student achievements will be recognized.
- Reception, Richmond Center for Visual Arts, lobby, 5 to 7 p.m.--The community is invited to enjoy food, refreshments and the formal opening of this year's student art exhibition.
Richmond Center Gallery Hours
- Monday through Thursday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday: noon to 6 p.m.
For more information, visit the Frostic School of Art online or call the exhibitions office at (269) 387-2455.