Michigan Geological Survey at Western Michigan University houses the biggest collection of geologic maps available for the State of Michigan at the MGS Store. The extent, coverage and type of the maps available can be viewed using the MGS Geoplatform application. Most of the surficial geologic maps are available for the southern part of the lower peninsula while county scale bedrock geologic and bedrock topographic maps are available for northern part of lower peninsula. There are limited mappings done in the upper peninsula of Michigan.
Most of the surficial geological mapping in Michigan have been done through STATEMAP funding. The STATEMAP information sheet shows the status of mapping and funding for Michigan Geological Survey.
Mapping services of the survey are:
- The MGS Store provides map products and publications for purchase in digital format. The MGS Geoplatform application can be used to view the map availability.
- Comprehensive GIS website of Michigan Geological Survey displays comprehensive data available for Michigan.
- The Physiographic Map of Michigan shows the major physiographic regions of Michigan.
Geologic maps and documents of Michigan are available through the following resources:
- The USGS National Geologic Map Database archives historic maps of Michigan.
- The USGS Map Locator and Downloader provides the topographic maps.
- The Quaternary Geology Project at Wayne State University provides maps showing urban geology and soils.