Western Michigan University is proud to host a growing number of international students on our campus. Your worldview adds unique perspective to our diverse and global workforce. International students face additional challenges when seeking employment in the United States, and there are several resources available to you to help navigate those challenges.
Visit WMU International Student Services and Immigration Services to get help with the paperwork and documentation you may need for an internship, part-time job, on-campus job, or full-time job. Specialists can help you complete Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) forms in addition to other work-related paperwork.
US cultural and employment norms may be quite different as an international student transitioning to the US. The following resources provide various information on cultural norms, educational requirements, obtaining visas and transition information.
- Foreignborn.com - Resources to help you understand international employment issues, including work visas and green cards.
- International student resources
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- "Crossing customs: International students write on U.S. college life and culture" by Jay Davis and Andrew Garrod
- "Succeeding as an international student in the U.S. and Canada" by C. Lipson and A.E. Goodman
As you search for jobs or internships, it is important to understand the processes to employment associated with your visa. Employers may have false assumptions about visa limitations, costs, or processes and it is important to be able to provide accurate information to potential employers. The following resources provide visa information.
Job and internship search
A job or internship takes a combination of numerous resources and strategies. The following resources provide a variety of lists of potential sponsoring employers, occupational outlooks and job opportunities. Utilize these resources as you build your job search strategy and create target employers list.
"Power Ties: The International STudent's Guide to Finding a Job in the United States" by Dan Beaudry
- "Three Steps to Your Job in the USA: International Student Edition" by S. Steinfield and H. Yinping
- 2016 OPT STEM Extension Ruling
The following resources are helpful when exploring continuing education options, institutions and processes.
- Education USA
- Institute of International Education
- "International Student Handbook 2013: All new 26th Edition" by the College Board
International graduate careers website with internships, jobs and graduate programs abroad.
Lists international internships in multiple fields.
Features overseas jobs and international employment opportunities.
Information on international exchange programs.
Find internships all over the world.
Comprehensive database of jobs and internships in Canada.