International Festival 2017
Take a trip around the world—without leaving Michigan—to enjoy some of the music, foods, fashions and traditional dances of 19 cultures by attending Western Michigan University’s 28th Annual International Festival from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday, April 2 on the second floor of the Bernhard Center. First held in 1989, the popular event is hosted by WMU international student organizations and includes cultural display tables, dance and music performances, and a fashion show featuring costumes and apparel from the students’ home countries. Admission is free, and for a nominal fee, attendees may sample traditional foods prepared by international students in campus kitchens under the supervision of WMU Dining Services employees.
International Festival annually attracts about 7,000 students and community members, offering a view of the diversity of cultures prevalent on campus.
The University enrolls more than 1,750 international students from about 100 countries and has many international student groups.
WMU International Student Groups Host
More than 100 students volunteer to host International Festival for campus and the community, and many international students have said it is the highlight of the academic year and their WMU experience.
“International Festival is a showcase of WMU’s multicultural diversity, providing a rich opportunity for international students to share their culture with the local community, as well as to learn about other cultures,” said Daniel Nunez, an undergraduate from Spain majoring in business and chair of the festival planning committee. “We welcome campus and the community to join us for this celebration of our cultures.”
Hosting student groups include:
- Association of Chinese Students and Scholars
- Association of Filipino-American Students
- Brazilian Students Association
- Bronco African Student Association
- Dominican Student Organization
- Fulbright Student Organization
- German Club
- Helping One Person Everyday
- Indian Student Association
- Indonesian Student Association
- Iraqi Student Union
- Japan Club
- Jamaican Association for Graduate and Undergraduate Students
- Korean Student Association
- Latino Student Alliance
- Malaysian Student Association
- Omani Student Association
- Pakistani Student Association
- Persian Student Association
- Russian Club
- Saudi Student Association
- Taiwanese Student Association
- Vietnamese Student Association
The festival is organized by WMU's International Student Activities office, the International Programs Council and the Campus Activities Board; it is co-sponsored by the Haenicke Institute for Global Education, the Graduate Student Association, the University Cultural Events Committee and the Western Student Association.
For more information, contact the International Activities office at firstname.lastname@example.org (269) 387-3966.