International students must demonstrate English proficiency to enter a degree-seeking program at Western Michigan University. Students may demonstrate English proficiency in any of the following ways:
- English proficiency test scores. View a list of acceptable tests and scores
- International Baccalaureate, grade of 5 in English at the Higher Level
- General Certificate of Education, grade of A, B or C in English from one of the five British-based examining boards
- Successful completion of ELS level 112
- Successful completion of the advanced level in the WMU Center for English Language and Culture for International Students (CELCIS) and instructor recommendations (for most degree programs)
Successful completion of either four years of upper secondary school or one year of full-time tertiary (university-level) education from select countries meets WMU English language proficiency requirements.
Select Countries that Meet English Proficiency Requirements
Applicants who have successfully completed either four years of upper secondary school or one year of full-time tertiary (university-level) education from one of the countries listed below do not need to provide proof of English language proficiency.
* English language proficiency test will only be waived for applicants from English language educational systems.