Sociology faculty are involved in various research projects as noted on their profile pages. In addition, the following are part of the Department of Sociology at Western Michigan University:
- The Kercher Center for Social Research emphasizes multidisciplinary collaboration and consultation and is committed to providing quality research services in combination with effective student training.
- The Group for The Study of Religion, Humanity and Social Change focuses on:
- The relationships of religion and spirituality with altruism.
- Interfaith and interethnic tolerance.
- Conflict and peace in the context of societal and global change.
- Assessing these relationships across nations, cultures and traditions.