Gender and women's studies students at Western Michigan University receive specialized, one-on-one attention from the department chair, who provides advising for majors, minors and those considering a degree in the field. Whether you are curious about gender and women's studies, or on your way to earning a major or minor, please consider paying a visit to receive advising.
Walk-in hours take place at regularly scheduled times during the academic year. Beginning September 5, fall 2017 advising occurs:
- Monday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, 1 to 3 p.m.
What to expect from advising
In addition to verifying the accuracy of your academic record using Degree Works, your advising meeting might include any of the following:
- Assessment of your progress toward completing your major or minor.
- Communication about your experiences—positive, negative, or ambivalent—with the department.
- Conversation about how gender and women's studies fits with your career goals.
- Dialogue about graduate school in gender, women's and sexuality studies and related fields.
- Discussion of internship possibilities, volunteer opportunities and ways to be involved on campus and in the community.
- Encouragement and guidance for succeeding academically.
- Information sharing about course availability so that you can plan your schedule accordingly.
- Learning about speakers, events, deadlines and more.
- Recommendations about new and upcoming courses.
- Referral to other campus offices that will support your success at WMU.