Gender and women's studies students at Western Michigan University are actively involved in campus activities outside the classroom. Several registered student organizations and student leadership opportunities relate to the material we discuss in gender and women's studies courses. Visit these pages and check out the gender and women's studies Facebook page for upcoming events and opportunities.
- FemiNOW is a registered student organization that focuses on intersectional feminism, education, and discussion. They also organize WMU's production of The Vagina Monologues.
- FIREplace and Sexual Assault Peer Educators (internship option) are committed to "fighting ignorance and rape through education"; they organize Take Back the Night among other events.
- Gentlemen United is a co-curricular program in which men become leaders and peer educators in promoting healthy relationships and behaviors.
- LBGT Student Services (internship option) has a resource room in Trimpe, collects bias reports and hosts numerous programs and activities for LGBT and ally students at WMU.
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion sponsors a Real Talk Diversity Series to raise awareness, stimulate dialogue and eliminate false ideologies.
- OutSpoken is an RSO for LGBT and ally students at WMU.
- Sexual Health Peer Educators (internship option) provide information and advice about healthy sexuality to their peers at WMU.
- Society of Women Engineers is an RSO that provides networking opportunities for female engineering students.
- Student Activities and Leadership Programs run several leadership certificate programs, including one on social justice.
- Theatre for Community Health (internship option) explores the challenges college students face dealing with sex, relationships, drinking and diversity.
- Triota is the gender and women's studies honor society at WMU.
- Western H.E.R.O.E.S. is a bystander intervention program that trains members of the campus community to step up and prevent harmful behavior. Students can participate in a workshop as well as become workshop facilitators.
- You Beautiful Black Woman is an RSO that holds meetings and hosts events in support of black women on campus.
Contact us if you know of another WMU campus group or involvement opportunity that should be listed here.