Gender and women's studies students at Western Michigan University receive specialized, one-on-one attention from the department chair, who provides support to those considering a degree in the field and advising degree related questions from College of Arts and Science advisor Tom Mills. Whether you are curious about the field of gender and women's studies, or on your way to earning a major or minor, please consider reaching out for support.
Students who want to major or minor in Gender and Women's Studies should schedule an appointment with advisor Tom Mills :
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
What to expect from advising
In addition to verifying the accuracy of your academic record using Degree Works, your advising meeting might include any of the following:
- Assessment of your progress toward completing your major or minor.
- Communication about your experiences—positive, negative, or ambivalent—with the department.
- Conversation about how gender and women's studies fits with your career goals.
- Dialogue about graduate school in gender, women's and sexuality studies and related fields.
- Discussion of internship possibilities, volunteer opportunities and ways to be involved on campus and in the community.
- Encouragement and guidance for succeeding academically.
- Information sharing about course availability so that you can plan your schedule accordingly.
- Learning about speakers, events, deadlines and more.
- Recommendations about new and upcoming courses.
- Referral to other campus offices that will support your success at WMU.