Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5202 USA
- Chief advisor to the Board of Trustees and president
- Manages the executive leadership team’s priorities by preparing agendas, assigning tasks, providing follow-up, and ensuring directives are implemented
- Responsible for establishing University strategies, identifying important issues confronting the University, and developing policy recommendations
- Provides coordination to the Board of Trustees managing an array of initiatives, meetings, functions and services designed to support the University’s fiduciary interests
- Interacts with students, administrators, faculty, professional staff, alumni, business leaders and legislators for an effective two-way communication between and among the President, executive leadership, and the board to include both internal and external constituencies
- Serves as representative to the president and Board of Trustees on committees and task forces
- Leads planning and implementation of major university events including commencements, dedications and organization-wide celebrations
Dr. Kahler B. Schuemann joined the Office of the President staff in 2006. Prior to serving as chief of staff and secretary to the Board of Trustees, he was assistant to the president at WMU from 2006 to 2017. Previously, he led Student Services at the University of Alaska, Prince William Sound Campus, and earlier served as director of Housing, Student, and Residential Life at Lake Superior State University.
Schuemann received degrees from Lake Superior State University (B.S. in history), Michigan State University (M.A. in student affairs administration), and Western Michigan University (Ph.D. in educational leadership). His graduate research explored how students understand and experience the university presidency.
Schuemann was awarded the 2017 WMU Staff of the Year presented by the WMU Graduate Student Association in addition to a 2017 Outstanding Service Award from the Association of Public and Land Grant Universities.
Schuemann serves as an adjunct faculty member in the WMU Department of Educational Leadership, Research and Technology. When not focused on inspiring the next generation of leaders and motivating organizational achievement at WMU, he enjoys outdoor adventures in the woods and on the water.