2019 Recommendations to the WMU President and Provost
- The recommendations reflect a joint effort from APA and PSSO on behalf of non-bargaining staff
- The recommendations are in response to meetings held with Dr. Montgomery and Dr. Bott
- The recommendations were based on: 1. 2017 APA and PSSO Staff Engagement Survey; 2. 2018 Spring APA membership survey; 3. 2017-18 Collaborative Risk Opportunity Management (CROM) Annual Report; 4. Input from APA and PSSO Executive Boards
- The work resulted in six areas of recommended action that included a justification and recommended action item(s)
Six Recommended Areas for Action
- Increase on-boarding training and on-going professional development for non-bargaining staff and supervisors.
- Require training for anyone (internal and external) hired into supervisory roles to refresh or learn leadership skills. This is critical for WMU to foster a culture of transformational leadership during this time of change.
- Establish accountability among supervisors regarding employee performance reviews.
- Assess critical areas that are understaffed.
- Establish a staff council charged with collaborating with university leadership regarding policy changes that affect non-bargaining staff members.
- Improve communication, specifically with changes affecting staff.
- It is the intention of APA and PSSO to meet with senior leadership soon to discuss these items in more detail.
- Thank you to the Executive Board Members from APA and PSSO, who contributed to drafting, editing and finalizing these recommendations.