The Stadium Club (formerly the John Gill Pressbox), located on the southeast side of Waldo Stadium, was built in the mid-1980’s as a venue to facilitate football game activities. It houses the coaches and press during game days, along with University guests both on its upper level and within the President’s Suite on the lower level. The Suite was used to entertain guests, including University benefactors, during home football games, but, like the rest of the facility, was closed up during the remainder of the year.
University Advancement requested a full-scale renovation of the President’s Suite in order to create a venue that could be used for more than just a few days during football season. The goal is to both upgrade the experience for high-value donors to WMU and other guests of the President, and to be able to host a wider variety of events throughout the entire year. The space was designed to accommodate a fully catered game-day experience, away game gatherings, Board meetings and other special events.
WMU teamed with GMB Architecture and AVB to design and construct the project, which will be realized in two separate phases. Phase I, currently under construction, encompasses all of the interior renovations, a new entry and upgrades to the outdoor terrace, and will be complete by mid-summer 2023. Phase II will be completed in the Spring of 2024, and will include upgrades to the exterior of the building, including a new entrance canopy, site improvements and landscaping.
The project is vying for LEED Silver certification, though hopes to achieve Gold.
- 24 / 7 / 365 entertaining space
- Donor / Advancement driven
- Welcoming, accessible, comfortable, luxurious, contemporary, awe inspiring
- Flexible and adaptable
- Create a space that is distinctive not just on game day, but every day ('Instagram-worthy')
- Offer a destination that prioritizes hospitality for a wide range of functions
- Instill a sense of pride where people want to be and want to come back to
- Celebrate all of Western, not just Athletics
- Express the value of resources and the environment
Questions regarding the Stadium Club - President's Suite Remodel project should be directed to Thom Carlisle, Project Manager: email@example.com.