The Compliance Committee is a standing committee devoted to reviewing the compliance strategies of University departments and units and to providing constructive input to improve compliance at the department and unit level. The Committee was formed in August 2018. The ultimate goal of the committee is to monitor University compliance efforts and to create an expectation of compliance and a culture of compliance within the University. The Committee is hopeful that it will be able to launch a comprehensive compliance web site detailing compliance obligations and strategies in Fall 2019. The Committee is currently compiling compliance matrices for University units and departments.
|The University has a confidential 'reporting hotline' that may be used to submit complaints, including anonymous complaints. Please see: http://www.WMUhotline.ethicspoint.com|
The Committee will provide periodic updates on this site regarding its progress.
Origin of Compliance Efforts
Compliance efforts arose from the language in Federal Sentencing Guideline 8B2.1, Effective Compliance and Ethics Program, which was first adopted in 1984. The Sentencing Guidelines provide a framework for determining whether an organization has made a good faith effort to create a culture of compliance. The existence of a compliance program serves as a mitigating factor in sentencing.
The compliance aspect of the Federal Sentencing Guidelines has been adopted as a best practice for organizations. The work of the Compliance Committee is informed by and modeled to meet those guidelines. You are encouraged to discuss compliance with the representative from your area if you have input, questions, or concerns regarding University compliance.
Compliance Committee Membership
- Chairperson: Carrick D. Craig, General Counsel
- Vice Chairperson: Sandy Streb, Director, Internal Audit
- Jason Barnes, Associate Director, Advancement Services
- Richard Burton, Security Administration, Senior
- Adriana Cardoso Reyes, Assistant Director, Institutional Accreditation/Planning
- Margurite Clay, Director, Human Resources Services
- Carrie Cumming, Registrar
- Jayne Fraley-Burgett, Director, Disability Services for Students
- Anna Kniffin, Assistant Director, Financial Accounting/Reporting
- Greg Lozeau, Director, IT Security/Privacy
- Suzie Nagel-Bennett, Associate Vice President, Student Affairs/Dean of Students
- Lee Ryder, Director, Immigration Services
- Jeff Stone, Deputy Athletic Director
- Dr. Carol Sundberg, Director, Unified Clinics
- Dr. Steven Weber, Research Contract Administrator
- Mark Weiss, Director, Environmental Health/Safety
- Dr. Evelyn Winfield-Thomas, Executive Director, Institutional Equity
- Carrick D. Craig, General Counsel; email@example.com
- Karen Atkinson, Paralegal Senior; firstname.lastname@example.org