A standing committee that oversees the process of policy standardization, organization, distribution and communication. A representative from the Office of the General Counsel—OGC—will chair the WMU policy committee. The chair reports directly to the President. Executive leadership must delegate a representative from their divisional area to serve on the policy committee. The policy committee will also have a representative from the Office of Institutional Effectiveness, who will advise on Higher Learning Commission requirements, and a representative from the Faculty Senate.
Mission and vision
The WMU Policy Committee will ensure that all policies align with Western Michigan University’s mission and vision.
The Committee shall be charged with the following:
- Develop and maintain a clear process for proposing, approving, and distributing policies.
- Review University policies for formatting and content.
- Identify and eliminate policy conflicts and duplication.
- Work with departments to establish and maintain legally required or externally mandated policies.
- Implement and conduct a full inventory of WMU policies.
- Ensure that the inventory remains comprehensive, up-to-date, and publicly available.
- Remove and archive duplicate, superseded, or obsolete WMU policies.
- Develop guidelines and procedures for managing web and print distribution of policies, to include ensuring that policies in the central electronic repository are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
The committee will develop procedures and guidelines to implement the review process. These will include instructions for levels of required review, individuals responsible for various subject matter, and process for archiving rescinded policies.
The committee does not have the authority to create new policies or make substantive changes to existing policies. Either the Board, the President, or the appropriate vice president must approve any substantive policy changes.
Represented units and member
Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Associate Provost for Institutional Effectiveness
- Keith Hearit—Ph.D., Special Assistant to the Provost, and Professor of Communication
- Gregory Lozeau—Director, IT Security and Privacy, Office of Information Technology
Office of the Vice President for Business and Finance
- Michele Cole—Director, Office of Business Services
Office of the Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations
- Jason Long—Director of Operations
Office of the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion
- Director of Operations
Office of the Vice President for Government Affairs
- Katie John—Assistant Vice President (Vice-Chair)
Office of Legal Affairs and General Counsel
- Jessica Swartz—Associate General Counsel (Chair)
Office of the Vice President for Marketing and Strategic Communication
- Paula Davis—Interim Executive Director
Office of the Vice President for Research
- Steve Weber—Research Contracts Administrator
Office of Vice President for Student Affairs
- Nicole Millar Allbee—Director, Office of Student Conduct
- Janet Hahn—Coordinator, Center for Gerontology and Assistant Professor of the School of Interdisciplinary Health Programs