What is Starting Gate?
Starting Gate is a student business accelerator program that gives students rich and valuable resources to develop their startup companies. Operated by the Small Business Development Center, within the Haworth College of Business, the accelerator is open to all WMU students through a competitive application process in which students must demonstrate a promising idea for a product or service, which can be launched within a short period of time. Starting Gate provides a fast-track to business launch.
Companies completing the accelerator program, for the 2022-2023 academic year, are eligible to apply for $10,000 in company funding.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Applications are due Sept. 23 for the 2022-23 Starting Gate program.
Resources and benefits
The mentor-based accelerator offers an array of resources and just the right amount of structure for highly motivated and creative students.
- Participate in regular update nights to help define the scope of their companies, adjusting business models and plans and gaining feedback.
- Students participating in the program will be able to request independent study of up to three credits for their work in Starting Gate.
- Interact with several key mentors, including faculty members, successful entrepreneurs from the local community, investors and experts in areas of interest such as commercial law, venture capital and others.
- Have access to the full complement of resources available through WMU, including the Michigan Small Business Development Center and Haworth College of Business experts and WMU faculty expertise from across campus.
- Develop a robust network of contacts and connections within the local business community to aid in the success of their ventures.