Food in Norway

Posted by Catherine Lemus on

Written by: Catherine Margarita Lemus

Major: Marketing

Location: Oslo, Norway

Let’s be honest, Norway is not exactly known for its high-end or particularly phenomenal food. When I first arrived in Oslo, I was a bit nervous to see how expensive food of any kind was (grocery store or restaurant) and began my search for dishes that were delicious yet friendly for a student’s budget. Luckily I am a huge fan of seafood and root vegetables which happen to be staples in Norwegian diet. Here are a few foods that I would consider to be uniquely Norwegian or worth tasting on a trip to Norge. 

Brunøst (Brown Cheese)

Brown cheese is a uniquely Norwegian item and most Norwegians have a love/hate relationship with it. Best described as creamy, sweet, and “caramelly”, brown cheese can be paired with breads and waffles and makes an appearance at breakfast and lunch. I don’t personally enjoy eating brown cheese alone with bread but have seen many fellow students eat it for lunch. I prefer the cheese with my waffles which I will elaborate on in a bit. 

Potet (Potatoes)

Honestly the potatoes in Norway aren’t special in any way but these people eat them ALL THE TIME! Boiled, steamed, mashed, fried, and a million other ways make these vegetables a perfect side for any Norwegian meal.

A fact that I find funny is that while today potatoes are a staple in Norwegian cooking and can be included in nearly every meal, they weren’t grown or used much before the 1700’s. This was due to the fact that Norway has poor soil for agriculture and it is difficult to grow food like potatoes deep in the ground. 

Vaffles (Norwegian Waffles…yes there is a difference)

In contrast to Belgian or American waffles that are thick and fluffy, Norwegian waffles are known to be flat and look more like a crepe’s bumpy cousin. These waffles are also super cute as they are traditionally shaped with hearts in the design which can be broken off in slices just like a pizza when consumed. These waffles are not eaten for breakfast as in America but are more like an afternoon snack. The topping that I have seen most often (and that has become my personal favorite) is raspberry jam, sour cream (that’s right, I said SOUR cream but trust me it’s delicious) and brown cheese. While these items don’t immediately scream “waffle buddies” they create a surprising balance which allows the waffle’s natural sweetness to shine without overwhelming the diner with sugar. Herald’s Waffles are my favorite spot in Oslo to get these waffles but they can also be easily recreated at home or as a crepe. Yum!

Skolebrød 

A skolebrød (also known as Skolleboller) is a cardamom sweet roll which is filled with custard cream and rolled in coconut flakes. This is one of the first pastries I have tried in Norway and also has proven to be one of the most messy! I am not a huge fan of coconut but this pastry does an excellent job balancing many unique ingredients and bringing them together in to one cohesive item. I find skolebrød to be best eaten with a cup of black coffee while reading or studying on a weekday morning. Student tip: Pastries in Oslo can be found at every grocery store as well as coffee shop. I have found that both are very high quality, especially compared to what is offered in the USA, and all are freshly baked each morning. The biggest difference between a skolebrød from a coffee shop and grocery is the price. Buying Norwegian pastries from  a grocery and then buying coffee at a shop can save you up to $5 per trip which really just means you have more money for more pastries in a day!

Categories: Food, Norway, Adventure, Marketing