Excitement as I Go

Posted by Emily Mox on
Written by: Emily Mox
Major: Science
Location; Costa Rica 

My name is Emily Mox. I am a biomedical science major at WMU and I am going to Costa Rica! I am very excited for a multitude of reasons. First of all, I am extremely excited to go to another country and experience the culture. I've been to Mexico and Canada, but it was vastly different as they were vacation based in touristy areas with my family. It'll be different to go on a trip to another country with a group of strangers and receive my education. I will be learning about the healthcare in Costa Rica. I am interested in going into the medical field which is what made me to choose this experience. I also chose to go to Costa Rica because my grandma used to live there. She was a missionary in Costa Rica and Ecuador for approximately 10 years. My mom and her 2 siblings lived there various years and my aunt was actually born in Quito, Ecuador! My mom has friends in Costa Rica as well. These all led me to choose Costa Rica as my study abroad experience.

Other than the excitement, I am also very nervous to go to Costa Rica. It's a new experience for me to expand my horizons in a way like this. I like to try new things but honestly the idea of going to another country so far away from my family, friends, and fiancé makes me very anxious. I'm very close with my fiancé and his sister because we hang out all the time so I know I'll miss them very much. I also have a horse named Luca and a dog named Bear, and I know I'll miss them a lot while I'm gone as well. I'm a very clingy person meaning I like to cling to the people I love and things that are familiar. It will be an interesting experience to see how I do in an entirely new environment for 9 days with people I barely know. I'm anxious but also very excited for this new adventure in my life.

Categories: Costa Rica, Science, Take-Off