Classes and getting started
|10 week sessions||Member||Guest|
|1 class per week||$200||$250|
|2 classes per week||$400||$500|
|3 classes per week||$600||$750|
|Drop-ins (call first)||$25||$30|
What is Pilates
If you want an improved, sleek, toned body with flexibility, agility, and economy of motion, choose Pilates Reformer! West Hills Athletic Club, a Kalamazoo fitness center, offers this safe, sensible exercise system for all fitness levels, ages 14–100. Based on the belief that mental and physical health are interrelated, Pilates on the Reformer can dramatically transform how your body looks, feels, and performs. We use various specialized equipment to build strength without building excess bulk. Pilates helps prevent future injuries and alleviates chronic ailments. No matter your age or condition, the pilates low impact approach will work for you!
The story behind Pilates
Joseph Pilates brought his technique to the United States in 1925. As a boxer, his exercise method offered a chance to improve physical performance and recover from injury.
The six principles of Pilates are:
- Centering: Bring physical focus to the core of the body.
- Concentration: Gain maximum value from each movement through total commitment to the exercise.
- Control: Leave no body part to its own devices. Each motion is deliberate, directed by the mind.
- Precision: Sustain awareness throughout each movement.
- Breath: Power every exercise with a full breath.
- Flow: The energy of an exercise connects all body parts and moves through the body in an even.