Below are examples of jobs that political science graduates from the Department of Political Science at Western Michigan University have attained.
- City and village managers
- Legal profession
- Nonprofit organizations such as Red Cross, Loaves and Fishes, and Ministry with Community
- Airport administrator
- Secondary education teachers
- Community college instructors
- Planning departments
- Personnel departments
- Various businesses
- Lobbyists such as Persuasion Inc. and Weiner Associates
- Staffers in State Representative and State Senate offices
- Senate Majority Policy Office
- Michigan Association of School Boards
- University professors
- Chief Counsel Senate Judiciary Committee
- Peace Corps
- Various businesses including the public relations firm of Rossman, Martin and Associates
- Defenders of Wildlife
- Office of the Inspector General
- House Commerce Committee
- Chief of staff for Congressman Tom Feeney of Florida
- SCM Associates (fundraising consulting firm)
- Association of Flight Attendants (AFL-CIO)
- Computer Sciences Corporation Federal Sector (FCC programming services contract)
- Berkshire Mortgage Finance (vice president and loan originator)
- Department of State (foreign service)
- Congressman Buck McKeon
- Senator Christopher Dodd (deputy press secretary)
- American Jewish Committee
- U.S. Department of Agriculture (in the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, India)
- Gerontological Society of America
- Department of Justice
- Foreign Service positions in Colombia, Thailand and India
- Organization for Cooperation and Security in Europe
- Numerous development non-government organizations in developing countries
In political science, a large number of students continue on to law school. Alumni have attended many different law schools.
Many students continue to work toward graduate degrees once they complete their undergraduate requirements. For example, a number of students continue on to:
- Study for a master's degree or enter the M.A./Ph.D. program.
- Enter the Master's of International Development Administration program.
- Continue studies for a graduate degree at another university.