Stephen Magura (Steve)
Location:4516 Ellsworth Hall, Mail Stop 5237
Mailing address:The Evaluation Center
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5237 USA
- Ph.D., Sociology, Rutgers University, 1979
- M.A., Sociology, Rutgers University, 1972
- B.S., Physics, Clarkson University, 1969
- Social Worker, 1996
Dr. Stephen Magura is Research Director of behavioral Studies at The Evaluation Center at Western Michigan University.
- Principal investigator of Controlling for Endogeneity Biases in Estimating AA Effects on Drinking Outcomes. Sponsor: NIH, R21 AA017906.
- Principal investigator of Research to Define and Measure Effectiveness of Advanced Technological Education Centers and Projects. Sponsor: National Science Foundation (subaward No. 0832874).
- Principal investigator of Efficacy of Dual Focus Mutual Aid for Persons with Co-occurring Disorders. Sponsor: NIDA, R01 DA023119.
- Co-investigator of Sublingual Buprenorphine for Chronic Pain in Patients at Risk for Drug Abuse. Sponsor: NIDA R21 DA022675.
- Principle investigator of Buprenorphine Maintenance in Jail and Post-Release. Sponsor: NIDA R21 DA020583
- Magura, S. Validating reports of illegal drug use to evaluate national drug control policy. Evaluation and Program Planning 33 234–237, 2010.
- Magura, S., Spybrook, J., Rosenblum, A., Fong, C., Villano, C., Vogel, H.S., and Betzler, T. Undiagnosed drug use among admissions to psychiatric day treatment and prediction of early exit. Open Addiction Journal 3, 95-101, 2010.
- Magura, S., Rosenblum, A., and Betzler, T. Substance use and mental health outcomes for comorbid patients in psychiatric day treatment. Substance Abuse: Research and Treatment 3: 71-78, 2009.
- Magura, S., Lee, J.D., Hershberger, J. , Joseph, H., Marsch, L., Shropshire, C., and Rosenblum, A. Buprenorphine and methadone maintenance in jail and post-release: A randomized clinical trial. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 99 (1-3):222-230, 2009.
- Magura, S. Controlling for endogeneity bias in estimating Alcoholics Anonymous effects on drinking (abstract). Michigan Academician 39 (2):64, 2009.
- Magura, S. What more do we need to know about medication-assisted treatment for prescription opioid abusers? (Commentary). Addiction 104 (5): 784-785, 2009.