Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5237 USA
- Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Evaluation, Western Michigan University, 2009
- M.A., Sociology, Loyola University, 1993
- B.A., Sociology and Anthropology, Truman State University, 1990
- Kirkpatrick Four Levels Evaluation, 2012
Lori Wingate is the Director of Research at The Evaluation Center at Western Michigan University. She has a Ph.D. in interdisciplinary evaluation from WMU and 25+ years of experience in the field of program evaluation. She directs EvaluATE, the evaluation learning and research hub for the National Science Foundation’s Advanced Technological Education program, and has led a range of evaluation projects in the areas of STEM education, public health, and higher education. Since 2011, she has served as a subject matter expert in evaluation for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Dr. Wingate has led more than 50 webinars and workshops on evaluation in a variety of contexts, including CDC University and the American Evaluation Association Summer Evaluation Institute. She is an associate member of the graduate faculty at WMU.
- MacDonald, G., Wingate, L. A., & Cookson, S. (2018). Monitoring and evaluation. In D. Townes (Ed.), Health in humanitarian emergencies: Principles and practice for public health and healthcare practitioners. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Wingate, L. A., Smith, N. L., & Perk, E. (2018). The project vita: A simple, but powerful tool for project accountability, evaluation, and management. Evaluation and Program Planning, 71, 22-27.
- Wingate, L. A. (2017). Advancing research in the National Science Foundation’s Advanced Technological Education program. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 41(6), 370-373.
- Smith, C., & Wingate, L. A. (2016). Strategies for broadening participation in advanced technological education programs: Practice and perceptions. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 40(9), 779-796.
- Wingate, L. A. (2016). Checklists for quality improvement and evaluation in behavioral health. In O'Donohue, W. & Maragakis, A. (Eds.), Quality improvement and behavioral health. New York: Springer.
Keynote and Invited Presentations
- Wingate, L. A. (2019, February). How to harness the power of high-quality checklists for program improvement and evaluation in public health. Invited presentation for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention—Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology and Laboratory Services. Atlanta, GA.
- Wingate, L. A. (2018, May). Evaluation of broader impacts. Presentation for Broader Impacts Conference. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI.
- Wingate, L. A. (2017, May). How to harness the superpowers of checklists. Keynote address at the annual meeting of the Ohio Program Evaluators’ Group, Columbus, OH.
- Wingate, L. A. (2016, June). Checklists for improving evaluation practice. Keynote presentation at the annual American Evaluation Association Summer Evaluation Institute, Atlanta, GA.
- Wingate, L. A. (2016, April). Trailblazing your individual path toward excellence in evaluation. Keynote presentation at the annual meeting of the Michigan Association for Evaluation, Lansing, MI.
- Outcome Evaluation: Step-by-Step (March 2019)
- Basic Principles of Survey Question Development (February 2019)
- Give Your Proposal a Competitive Edge with a Great Evaluation Plan (August 2018)
- Small-Scale Evaluation (February 2017)
- Logic Models: Getting Them Right and Using Them Well (August 2016)