Western Michigan University students majoring in any business program may apply for Haworth College of Business scholarships.
A number of scholarships available solely for those majoring or minoring in management, leadership and business strategy or human resource management as well as those majoring in entrepreneurship are awarded each year. These scholarships are funded by current and past faculty members, alumni and other friends of the Department of Management. These scholarships are awarded based on academic excellence, leadership or service, or some combination of the three. While most require students to be management, leadership and business strategy, entrepreneurship or human resource management majors, some are available for human resource management, management or leadership and business strategy minors.
Examples of scholarships awarded appear below. Several of the scholarships can be awarded to more than one student. The exact number and amount of these scholarships varies year-to-year depending on funding and the applications received. Students need to submit only one application to be considered for any of the scholarships for which they are eligible.
- G.W. and Edna Haworth Principled Leadership Scholarship: This scholarship recognizes and rewards outstanding leadership and business strategy students who lead with values and who, after graduating, plan to lead with values in their profession, business or vocation to improve the lives of customers, their community and society as a whole.
- Dr. James W. Hill Leadership Award: This annual award is presented to an undergraduate student majoring or minoring in management, leadership and business strategy or human resource management or majoring in entrepreneurship, who exemplifies ethics and leadership within the B.B.A. program.
- Dean Arnold E. Schneider Management Achievement Award: This achievement award was established by the founding dean of the college of business and his family. Undergraduate students majoring or minoring in management, leadership and business strategy or human resource management or majoring in entrepreneurship are eligible. This award is provided for juniors and seniors who demonstrate outstanding leadership, scholarship and service qualities.
- Dean Arnold E. Schneider MBA Founders Award: The award will support an MBA candidate who demonstrates a combination of scholarship and business achievement.
Jeffrey T. Robideau Award for Meritorious Scholarship: This award, established by an alumnus of the department, provides scholarship funds to full-time management majors with junior or senior status and is based on outstanding academic achievement.
- Dr. Kimon Bournazos Memorial Scholarship for Human Resource Management: This award is given to human resource management majors who demonstrate scholarship (3.5 GPA or higher), leadership, interpersonal and communications skills and who plan to work as HR managers. Students must be junior level or above.
- Dr. Kimon and Helen Jeanne Bournazos Professional Development Award for Human Resources Management Students and Faculty: This award is given annually to students or faculty who attend a professional conference, pursue continuing education or conduct research related to human resource management. Students must have a 3.5 GPA or higher. Leadership roles in the classroom and through student organizations will be considered.
- Richard and Priscilla Washburn Human Resource Management Award: Funding will be used to support student professional activities or to reimburse the department for direct expenses associated with professional organizations.
- Dr. Fred V. and Jeanne L. Hartenstein Scholarship for Academic Excellence and Leadership Management: Students (3.5 GPA and higher) who are enrolled in the B.B.A. program with a management major are eligible for this award. Students must demonstrate leadership through student organizations or other activities and positions. Preference will be given to students planning to pursue an MBA degree.
- Valluzzo Family Scholarship: This award provides funding to a student who has demonstrated academic achievement and leadership. Students must be at the junior level or above and majoring in management.
- Timmy Parker Memorial Pay it Forward Scholarship in Management: This award goes to a full-time or part-time upper-class student with a major or minor in the study of management. This student must exemplify the following character traits and commitment to the principle of “paying it forward” by exhibiting a positive attitude toward others and the future, and a balanced life related to family, friends, work education, athletics and the arts. Most importantly, the recipient must live boldly in the world with a determination to be a positive change agent in all accomplishments.
- Department of Management Chair and Emeritus Director Award: This award provides funding for undergraduate students majoring or minoring in management, leadership and business strategy or human resource management or majoring in entrepreneurship. It is available for tuition, books, fees, conference attendance or any other educational activities.
- Department of Management Achievement Award: This award provides funding for students who have distinguished themselves in scholarship, service to the department or other worthy endeavors. Undergraduate students majoring or minoring in management, leadership and business strategy or human resource management or majoring in entrepreneurship are eligible. One of the awards will be given as an MBA achievement award to eligible graduate students. Eligible students must be nominated by Department of Management faculty members or the department chair.
General eligibility requirements
- Must be accepted into the upper-level B.B.A. program (junior status, 56 credit hours completed) and have declared a major or minor within the Department of Management. Students majoring or minoring in human resource management, leadership and business strategy and management are eligible as are students majoring in entrepreneurship.
- Must have a graduation date of December 2022 or later.