Western Michigan University offers a music therapy equivalency certificate program designed for the student who already has a baccalaureate degree in music (or comparable program) and would like to complete course work needed to become a professional music therapist. Under this program, the student only takes the courses required for certification and need not complete a second baccalaureate degree in music therapy.
Although a minimum residency of two years is suggested (not including the internship), course requirements may be completed in less time depending on the student's past college work. To be eligible for certification by the Certification Board for Music Therapists, the equivalency student must have successfully completed 22 semester hours in music therapy, 18 semester hours in behavioral/natural sciences, 52 semester hours in music and 30 semester hours in general education electives when all transcripts are considered. Equivalency students who plan to continue to the Master of Music Therapy degree may apply to take graduate courses concurrently with equivalency courses starting in the second year.
A Bachelor of Music degree or other Bachelor’s degree with at least 54 semester hours in music. Three letters of recommendation. Demonstration of performance skills on primary instrument, voice, piano, and optionally guitar.
- University Application: Applications to the Certificate program are currently submitted through WMU's Undergraduate Admissions system (Help Guide). Within the application itself select the following options for your Academic Plan Intent:
Student Level = Undergraduate
Campus = Main Campus (Kalamazoo)
I want to = Earn an undergraduate certificate
Pick the undergraduate certificate = Music Therapy Equivalency - Certificate
- Letters of Recommendation: Provide the contact information for your three letters of recommendation providers within the WMU application. They will be contacted automatically and their letters will be matched to your application.
- Unofficial Transcript: Although the university will ultimately require an official transcript sent directly from your previous institution, it will expedite the review of your application if you share an unofficial transcript with us via the instructions at WMU Music Submissions.
- Music Application: There is a separate Music Application form due by February 1. Go to the the following website: ShopWMU Music Admissions Store. After submitting your payment for the Therapy Certificate Application Fee, you will be sent an email receipt with a direct link to the graduate music application form. Even though the music therapy equivalency is technically an undergraduate program, you will be forwarded to the graduate form so that you can provide detailed information about your undergraduate background.
- Demonstration of Performance Skills: On primary instrument, voice, piano, and optionally guitar. You may submit videos by following the instructions at WMU Music Submissions. Alternatively, you could contact the Director of Music Therapy, Edward Roth, to arrange an on-campus interview or video conference call (e.g., Skype, Hangouts).
Note: You are not required to audition for a studio faculty member on your primary instrument for admission to this program. You should not sign up for an audition date using the Undergraduate Music application