KALAMAZOO, Mich.—Starting this semester, Western Michigan University began offering an expanded catalog of noncredit courses to the public in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and online.
Registration is open for a three-course suite of business communications courses, two language and culture courses, and preparation courses for taking the Graduate Record Exam and Law School Admission Test.
One of the language and culture courses is only being offered online. The other courses are being offered in face-to-face, classroom settings on the main campus in Kalamazoo, in the WMU-Grand Rapids downtown location at 200 Ionia Ave. SW, or at both of these locations.
The business communication courses meet from 6 to 9 p.m. on WMU's main campus and cost $425, including all classroom materials. Scheduled are:
- Maximizing Group Problem-Solving Situations—Register by Tuesday, March 31, for the session that meets Mondays from April 6 through 27.
- Developing Effective Speaking Skills—Register by Tuesday, March 31, for the session that meets Wednesdays from April 8 through 29.
- Maximizing Your Social and Digital Media Use—Register by Tuesday, March 31, for the session that meets Thursdays from April 9 through 30.
Language and culture
The language and culture courses scheduled are:
- Business and Conversational Spanish (online only)—Register by Tuesday, April 7, for the session that runs from April 14 through May 30 and by Tuesday, June 30, for the session that runs from July 14 through Sept. 1. The course costs $230, including all required materials.
- Chinese Business and Culture—Register by Tuesday, April 7, for the session that meets Tuesdays from April 14 through 28 in the WMU-Grand Rapids downtown location. The course costs $345, including all classroom materials.
The test-preparation courses are face-to-face classes delivered in a workshop-like format either on the main campus in Kalamazoo or in the WMU-Rapids downtown location.
The GRE courses cost $599, including all required materials. The LSAT courses cost $699, including books, all materials and a parking pass. Scheduled are:
- GRE course in Grand Rapids—Register by Tuesday, April 7, for the session that meets Thursdays from April 16 through June 4 and by Thursday, April 30, for the session that meets Wednesdays from May 6 through June 24.
- GRE course in Kalamazoo—Register by Monday, June 1, for the sessions that meet Mondays from June 8 through July 27 and Wednesdays from June 10 through July 29. Those who register by May 1 will receive a $150 early-bird discount, bringing the cost to enroll in the Kalamazoo courses to $449.
- LSAT course in Grand Rapids—Register by Tuesday, June 30, for the session that meets Tuesdays from July 7 through Sept. 15.
- LSAT course in Kalamazoo—Register by Wednesday, July 1, for the session that meets Wednesdays from July 8 through Sept. 16.
WMU's expanded course selection is being offered through the professional development office in Extended University Programs. This office provides noncredit courses and programs that allow professionals from a range of fields to develop new skills, enhance their professional profile and achieve professional certification.
Through the office, individuals also may receive customized education and training as well as earn WMU Continuing Education Units and State Continuing Education Clock Hours.
To register for a course or obtain more information, including descriptions of each course and their instructors, visit wmich.edu/extended/professional/availablecourses.
For more news, arts and events, visit wmich.edu/news.