About WMU Signature
WMU Signature is a program created to encourage all students to complete a culminating integrative learning project. A Signature Experiences is tangible experience students initiate where they apply what they have learned in and out of the classroom to real-world problems. Each student’s Signature Experience is unique to them and related to their purpose, denoted by their chosen pathway. Research has shown employers are looking for future employees who have completed these types of experiences. All Western students have the opportunity to complete a Signature Experience and be recognized by the University.
Examples of Signature Experiences
- A project you played a lead role on during an internship or co-op.
- A research project.
- Work led as part of a Registered Student Organization.
- A project completed in the community.
- Running or starting a business or organization.
Criteria for a Signature Experience
- Should be the experience, or one of the experiences, a student is most proud of during their time as a WMU student.
- Must be student initiated or directed.
- Cannot be completed for an academic requirement.
- Should take about a semester to complete, though some will be completed in less time and many will take more time.
- Should integrate multiple areas of learning, both from in the classroom and outside the classroom.
- Must be an example of putting a student’s purpose into action.
Have not completed a Signature Experience Yet - Optional Steps
- Attend WMU Signature designated experiences to find out what you might want to do
- Meet with a WMU Signature staff member to discuss pathway or Signature Experience ideas
- Declare your pathway to begin receiving more information
- Submit an idea for your Signature Experience to get feedback on before starting
Recent WMU Signature Experiences
WMU Signature is built off of the Association of American Colleges & Universities Capstones and Signature Work project
WMU Signature Designation
Western Michigan University recognizes that engagement outside of the classroom can contribute to student learning and development. In response, the University created a framework, WMU Signature, for students to intentionally engage on campus and meaningfully reflect on their experiences. To celebrate students' co-curricular achievements, the University will officially recognize students who have successfully completed their WMU Signature by including a WMU Signature Designation on their academic transcripts and diploma.
Western Michigan University is the only institution that is currently including a co-curricular designation on the academic transcript and the diploma.