If you see someone online who is suicidal, there are several steps you can take to help this person.
- Take his or her words seriously and respond with compassion.
- Encourage him or her to reach out for help to a friend, family member, counselor, clergy and other community members.
- Encourage him or her to call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline (Lifeline) at (800) 273-TALK (8255). Tell him or her the Lifeline is available 24/7 for anyone in suicidal crisis anywhere in the United States.
- If you would like assistance, the Lifeline is also available to provide information about helping someone contemplating suicide. You can also visit the Lifeline website by clicking on the link above.
- If the person online is saying he or she is going to kill him or herself at that moment or is in the process of attempting suicide, please try to find the person's location and call the local police or 911.