WMU's Suicide Prevention Program does not provide counseling services. If you are thinking about suicide or hurting yourself, or if someone you know is seriously thinking about suicide, please seek help. Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., call Sindecuse Counseling Services at (269) 387-1850. After hours, call (800) 273-8255 for the National Suicide Prevention lifeline - available 24 hours a day, seven days a week and answered locally.
In case of emergency, call 911!
- Male veterans are twice as likely as civilians of either gender to commit suicide.
- 1,000 suicides occur per year among veterans receiving VA care.
- 5,000 suicides occur per year among all living veterans.
Veteran-specific risks factors
- Frequent deployments
- Deployments to hostile environments
- Exposure to extreme stress
- Physical or sexual assault while in the service (not limited to women)
- Length of deployments
- Service-related injuries