The Department of Political Science at Western Michigan University offers a concentration in international and comparative politics.
The WMU catalog offers additional program information on this concentration.
There are many study abroad opportunities for students in this major. If you are considering an international career, do all you can to incorporate a study abroad program into your course of study.
The career services has information and resources for the international and comparative major.
Have you filled out a profile at the Bronco Jobs website? Go to Bronco Jobs and click on New User Registration. Fill out a profile and regularly check to see if you have any matches for job listings.
General information on international affairs
- WWW Virtual Library: International Affairs Resources - More than 2,000 annotated links to high-quality English-language sources of information and analysis in a wide range of international affairs, international studies, and international relations topics.
International volunteer and internship information
- Idealist - An enterprise of Action without Borders. The page lists hundreds of internships and jobs, many of them in nonprofit organizations overseas. The search engine is awkward to use; you'll have to try lots of combinations of countries, specializations, etc. Plan on spending a while, but it may prove useful just because of the sheer quantity of listings.
- InterAction - Volunteer opportunities.
- Vision in Action - International volunteer work.
- Volunteers for Peace - International volunteer work.
Foreign service and the state department
- The State Department website has its own page on recruitment, including student programs.
- The State Department posts information on the Foreign Service Exam. Contact Career and Student Employment for more information.
- Another list of vacancies in international organizations is more extensive. These are all INGOs (not NGOs), and many are in offices around the world.
Jobs listings in international affairs
- Action Without Borders keeps tracks of job and volunteer opportunities in NGOs (non profit non governmental organizations) around the world.
- Monster.com's global gateway page is useful in finding international positions.
- Overseas Jobs Web has a searchable database of international jobs listings, an electronic newspaper on working overseas and a jobs resources page.
The Peace Corps
- Returned Peace Corps Volunteers are a tightly knit group; visit their home page to find out what volunteers do after they return.
- There are a number of combined master's degree-Peace Corps programs. WMU has one of the newest: a Masters of Development Administration degree combined with the Peace Corps. Check the Peace Corps website for other master's international programs.