Study Abroad at WMU is a short-term option for international students to enroll at Western Michigan University.
- Study for one or two concurrent semesters.
- Study in English.
- Select courses not available at your home university from 140 undergraduate programs or from select graduate programs.
- Study English as a Second Language in WMU’s Center for English Language and Culture for International Students.
- Reasonable tuition.
- Travel to the United States on a J-1 visa (sponsored student).
- Free airport pickup from the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport.
- On-campus housing with WMU students.
- Located in the Midwest.
- Undergraduate students—Cumulative GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Graduate students—Cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- TOEFL score of 80 iBT (550 PBT) or higher to enroll in regular academic classes (does not apply to ESL applicants).
- TOEFL score of 61 iBT (500 PBT) to enroll in ESL course and regular academic classes concurrently.
Tuition and fees are listed on the Study Abroad at WMU flier.
- Fall semester (begins early September): Feb. 1
- Spring semester (begins early January): Oct. 1
Review the following links for comprehensive application information.
- Application process
- Course information and selection
- English language requirements
- Health care and insurance
- International Student Handbook
- Ordering your WMU transcripts
- Things to bring
- WMU academic calendar
For more information about Study Abroad at WMU, contact:
Study Abroad at WMU
c/o Dr. Jane Blyth
Haenicke Institute for Global Education
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5245 USA
Phone: (269) 387-5890
Fax: (269) 387-0630