Health Care and Insurance

 Health insurance

The cost of health care in the United States is very high; a short stay in the hospital can cost thousands of dollars. International students, scholars, or dependents who are in the U.S. on temporary, non-immigrant visas such as F or J, are not eligible for U.S. government programs like Medical Assistance or Medicaid. You can protect yourself from the high cost of health care by obtaining health insurance coverage.

WMU exchange visitors and international students on J-1 visas are required by U.S. Department of State regulations to have health insurance that meets minimum J-1 requirements while they are in the United States. For more information about health insurance and health services available at WMU, please refer to the International Admissions Handbook.

Tuberculosis screening requirement

International students from countries where tuberculosis is prevalent must be screened for TB before traveling to the United States. Visit the Sindecuse Health Center website to determine if you need to have a screening. WMU requires students arriving from countries where tuberculosis is prevalent to present proof that a TB screen has been completed within the last year; if the test result was positive, WMU requires the student to present a TB screen and radiology report in English when they arrive on campus.

For more information, contact Sindecuse Health Center at (269) 387-3426 or view additional recommendations about immunizations here.