The Center for English Language and Culture for International Students (CELCIS) is the intensive English language learning program of Western Michigan University. Established in 1975, CELCIS provides high-quality English-language instruction for non-native speakers who will use English to study at an American college or in their workplaces. CELCIS offers in-person or online ESL courses.
Keep up-to-date on the University’s response to COVID-19 at wmich.edu/covid-19 and WMU's Safe Return Plan.
Learn more about CELCIS:
- Application requirements
- Application deadlines
- Program Costs
- Program Dates
- English proficiency requirements
- Benefits of studying English at CELCIS
Students interested in attending CELCIS should complete an online application. International applicants will need the following to successfully complete this application:
- Copy of passport identification page
- Copy of high school or university transcripts (in English)
- Proof of previous English instruction. Acceptable forms of documentation include:
Grade transcripts showing at least one semester of English language study
English program certificate
Verification of enrollment letter from a school official
Official test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 42 iBT, 437 PBT and above
Official test scores from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 4.5 and above
- Proof of Financial Resources: Minimum of $13,249 USD per semester (four months)
- $100 non-refundable application fee
- If you are already in the United States at another school, you must also submit a completed transfer-in form.
Resources for students with disabilities
You may view a translated version of the CELCIS application by visiting ApplyESL.com via the links below. Please note that Apply ESL is a third-party vendor. If you apply using the translated applications below, your application will be processed through an outside company.
العربيـة 繁體中文 简体中文 日本語 한국어 Português Español Türkçe Tiếng Việt Français Deutsch Pусский Italiano Bahasa Indonesia ภาษาไทย English
Application deadlines vary by semester and term dates.
|Spring||Nov. 15||Early January|
|Summer||March 15||Early May|
|Summer II only||May 15||Early July|
|Fall||July 15||Early September|
For students needing visas, it is recommended to apply 180 days in advance of desired semester start date to allow additional time for application/consular processing as some consulates have long wait times. View consular processing times here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html
If your application deadline has passed, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org. We cannot guarantee late-admission to the desired semester but we will do our best to process the application.
BENEFITS OF STUDYING ENGLISH AT CELCIS
Studying English at the WMU Center for English Language and Culture for International Students (CELCIS) has many benefits that include:
- Students who complete CELCIS are admitted directly into the Western Michigan University and are not required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score for admission.
- The CELCIS curriculum teaches students valuable skills such as research, writing and presenting that will help students succeed in the university.
- Full-time faculty have master's degrees in ESL, linguistics or a related field.
- Most CELCIS students go on to study in WMU undergraduate or graduate programs.