Western Michigan University's International Student Orientation is an online, 6-week program designed to help you make a smooth academic, social, geographic, and professional transition to WMU. International Student Orientation will prepare you to:
- Locate resources that you need to be successful at Western Michigan University.
- Utilize the technical applications needed for success.
- Understand expectations specific to you as an international student.
- Access personal connections to support your success.
- Check-off important to-do items.
- Feel connected to the WMU community.
Congratulations on your admission to Western Michigan University!
Stay up to date on Immigration compliance by visiting wmich.edu/immigration.
International Student Orientation is a 6-week series of online modules (via WMU E-learning, Webex & social media) to help you make a smooth academic, social, geographic, and professional transition to WMU. In each module, you will learn about the University and accomplish important tasks before you begin classes.
|Entry Semester||Orientation Dates||Early Move-In to Residence Halls||Classes Begin|
|Summer I 2021||Module 1: Log-In, Connect & Get Started||
March 23 - March 29
|Module 2: Course Registration||
March 30 - April 5
|Module 3: Tools for Success||
April 6 - April 12
|Module 4: Maintain Legal Status||
April 13 - April 19
|Module 5: Health & Finances||
April 20 - April 26
|Module 6: Navigating Campus||
April 27 - May 3
|Live Virtual Welcome||TBA|
Is International Student Orientation mandatory?
Yes! Your success at Western Michigan University is our top priority. International Student Orientation is a crucial academic, professional and social introduction to the University. Plus, you will accomplish many important things during International Student Orientation, including registering for classes, learning about math placement, registering for housing and making friends.
When does International Student Orientation begin?
International Student Orientation begins virtually 6 weeks prior to the first day of classes. To access online learning modules, you will need to activate your GoWMU account. You will also be assigned a small cohort for the duration of the 6 weeks, facilitated by a current WMU student on WhatsApp.*
*If WhatsApp is not accessible, another chat-function will be utilized.
What do I need to do for International Student Orientation?
Successfully completing International Student Orientation is easy! You will be expected to:
- Complete online E-learning modules
- Connect with your small cohort and student-leader weekly
- Pass E-learning assessments, attesting that you have completed important tasks each week
Are you interested in developing your leadership skills, assisting new students in navigating the University and making friends from all over the world? Apply for an internship in the International Student Orientation Leadership Program. In the 10-week internship program, you will serve as a small group leader for international students entering the University. You will assist in answering questions about the learning content, helping them connect with each other and providing resources.
The timeline for the Spring 2021 program is:
- Application deadline: Nov. 4, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (EST)
- Training (virtual): Nov. 9-20, 2020
- International Student Orientation (weekly internship responsibilities, virtual): Nov. 23, 2020 - Jan. 8, 2021
- Wrap-up (virtual): Jan. 11 - 15, 2021