The Diether H. Haenicke Institute for Global Education helps to create and sustain an environment that facilitates the global engagement of Western Michigan University. The Haenicke Institute serves as one of the primary drivers of global engagement, housing the following units:
- Asian Initiatives—includes the Soga Japan Center, the Timothy Light Center for Chinese Studies and Chinese Language and Cultural Programming; together, these institutes and centers enhance scholarship and disseminate knowledge about East Asia as well as provide language and culture opportunities on the WMU campus and in the greater Southwest Michigan community.
- CELCIS: Center for English Language and Culture for International Students—provides instruction in English as a second language for non-native speakers who will use English to study at an American college or university or in their workplaces.
- Center for African Development Policy Research—fosters academic research by promoting collaboration between faculty and students from various WMU colleges and departments with an interest in Africa.
- Faculty Development and Global Programs—global programs and development opportunities for faculty.
- Fulbright for students and faculty—resources and support from a Fulbright Program Advisor (FPA) for prospective and current Fulbright recipients.
- International Student and Scholar Services (formerly International Admissions & Services and Immigration Compliance)—recruits and facilitates the admission and enrollment of students from around the world who would like to obtain an education at Western Michigan University. Provides comprehensive immigration advising and services to WMU international academic students, visiting scholars, foreign-national faculty and staff, and their WMU hosting or sponsoring departments.
- Global Engagement Activities—facilitates regular and ongoing international activities on campus, such as an International Festival and a week-long celebration of International Education Week.
- Study Abroad—creates and facilitates study abroad opportunities for WMU students.