The establishment of Western Michigan University's music therapy program in the 1950s and the on-campus Music Therapy Clinic in the 1970s is in keeping with the University's long-standing commitment to providing training in health-related disciplines. One of the first accredited music therapy programs in the nation, WMU's program includes training at both the graduate and undergraduate levels. It is fully approved by the American Music Therapy Association.
To be admitted into WMU's music therapy program, you must successfully complete the school's audition and testing program, held each November, January and February.
Beyond the classroom
As a music therapy student at WMU, you will have the opportunity to gain professional experience in the Music Therapy Clinic, located in the Dalton Center on WMU's main Kalamazoo campus, or one of the University's 30 affiliate medical, educational, and health-related agencies in the greater Kalamazoo area.
You may also consider joining the Student Music Therapists Association, a WMU student organization open to all undergraduate and graduate students. The Student Music Therapists Association:
- Informs and educates the WMU student body and surrounding communities of the applications, validity and benefits of music therapy.
- Provides a forum for sharing clinical experiences amongst undergraduate and graduate members.
- Enhances the education of the WMU student body by providing guest speakers and presenters in fields related to the music therapy profession.
After you graduate
Recent WMU graduates with degrees in music therapy are working as:
Among the organizations they work for are:
- Private practices
Where is this program offered?
Other programs of interest
- Elementary Professional Education
- Family Studies
- Healthcare Services and Sciences
- Multimedia Arts Technology—Music
- Music Composition
- Music Education: Choral/General
- Music Education: Instrumental
- Music Performance: Instrumental
- Music Performance: Keyboard
- Music Performance: Vocal
- Music: Jazz Studies
- Theatre: Music Theatre Performance
- Psychology: Behavioral Science
- Psychology: General Psychology
- Social Work