American Choral Directors Association
Western Michigan University is fortunate to have an active student chapter of the premiere national choral organization, the American Choral Directors Association. Students involved in WMU-ACDA participate in service projects, social events, professional education activities, conducting competitions, lectures and workshops.
- Our student chapter represents the University at ACDA's national, regional and state conventions.
- In 2013, WMU sent a delegation of 20 students to Dallas, Texas, to attend the National Convention. All costs were covered through grants provided by the School of Music, honors college, college of education, and the President's office.
- In 2015, WMU sent a delegation of 25 students to the Salt Lake City, Utah, National Convention, and costs were covered by grants.
- Each year, WMU students are selected to participate in the ACDA-MI undergraduate and graduate conducting masterclasses, where they learn from clinicians such as Simon Carrington, Vijay Singh, Sandra Snow, Craig Jessop, Lynda Hasseler, Z. Randall Stroope, Josephine Lee, and Joe Miller.
- We also hold an in-house conducting competition and masterclass each spring in addition to our weekly interest sessions and meetings.
ACDA is strongly encouraged for anyone who is considering a major in music education or has a passion for choral music. Yearly activities include music reading sessions with opportunities to conduct, professional development sessions and presentations from professionals in the community, various service projects such as caroling for senior citizens and making baby hats for a local hospital, and social events such as sing-along movie nights and an end of the year party for all Fine Arts majors!
Questions and information
- Join us every Monday at 6 p.m. in room 2113 at the Dalton Center!
- Questions can be directed to email@example.com
- Faculty advisor: Dr. Kimberly Dunn Adams, associate professor of music | Email Dr. Adams
(Above: ACDA Students and WMU Alumni at conferences in Fort Wayne and Dallas)