Dollars and Sense Camp
Two projects—one unforgettable week
Is your student curious about how to manage money?
The Dollars and Sense camp is designed to help students prepare for their future. Camp attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Explore career pathways.
- Plan for college or a trade.
- Learn about the economy and how it works.
- Create a plan for budgeting, saving and investing.
- Learn about insurance and risk management.
- Compete in virtual investing, budget and other personal finance games.
- Meet business professionals and interact with real-world work environments.
The ultimate goal is to have your student understand and be able to apply basic concepts in personal finance, such as budgeting, paying for college, saving for retirement and more. Additional elements are taught by experts from the Department of Finance and Commercial Law within the Haworth College of Business. Each module is discussion-based and designed to be fun and engaging! Participants will have the opportunity to make presentations to financial professionals demonstrating the knowledge they have learned in camp. There will be giveaways for campers who attend all sessions.
The camp consists of two major projects:
- Project 1: Students will design a life cycle financial plan, laying out where they want to be in terms of their personal finances and personal life goals. Answering the question "How will I get there, from today through retirement?"
- Project 2: There will be an incentivized game the students will acquire at the beginning of camp and apply throughout the rest of their time there.
Dollars and Sense Camp is open to students in 8th-12th grade. Participants should plan to attend all five days of camp, which is held annually during the summer. Registration is $99. Please note, due to COVID-19, the 2021 Dollars and Sense Camp will be offered virtually.
- 11th-12th grade: August 9-13, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 8th-10th grade: August 16-20, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Attendees should plan to attend all five days in order to maximize their experience and contribute to the team projects. Registration is open until July 30, 2021.
For more information, contact the Sanford Center for Financial Planning and Wellness.