Find Your True Passion

A compass attached to a slip of paper that reads "find your passion."
Posted by Dr. Irma Lopez on

Thinking about switching majors? You are not unique. Statistics show that one-third of all university students change careers while in college. One shouldn’t be surprised by this number; after all, college is a time of exploration and self discovery. Being exposed to a wider range of knowledge and experiences often leads to revelations that involve new interests, which inevitably steer some students to reconsider their academic path. I understand this very well, as I was one of those undergraduates who switched majors—and not once, but four times! Needless to say, my parents were concerned and wondered whether I was ever going to get a college degree, as the years were passing and I was giving no signs of settling on a definitive major. It didn’t help, either, that my siblings knew exactly what they wanted to do before entering college, that they graduated on time, and that they were already married with kids while I was still exploring and trying new fields of endeavor. Of course, I didn’t mean to be “a late bloomer,” as my father used to describe me to friends and relatives who asked about my latest adventures. But for me, passion for what I was going to do and personal fulfillment were more important than settling for economic considerations such as income potential or job availability. Just the thought of being unhappy while doing something I didn’t like was enough motivation to keep me searching.

Looking back, nothing was a waste of time: I learned many things in the process of searching for my true calling, met great people, and always a new discovery took me to the next phase, like stepping stones taking you across a stream. Eventually, the last stone landed me on the discovery that my passion lay in teaching at the college level and in the subject area of Latin American literature.

Reasons for changing a major vary. For some of you, it may be for general exploration, as you are still figuring out what you want to do. For others, it may be that you realize you are not suited for your chosen major, or that you have a change of interest or find better opportunities. Regardless of what the reason is, don’t feel guilty or depressed. You may have collected credits for one major that have nothing to do with the one you want to switch to, but all those earned credits still count toward your graduation hours and overall grade point average. Depending on the major you switch to, you may have to take a step back and become a sophomore or junior again, postponing graduation day, which can cost more money. All of this is true, but sometimes throwing practicality out the window when making a decision that will affect your future opens the door to true happiness in the years to come.

Having said all of the above, it is also wise to exercise caution. Before switching your major, I recommend the following:

• Speak candidly on your doubts about the present major to a trusted faculty member in your field. He/she should be able to explain why your chosen major is worth the work, so you have a broader perspective and can weigh your options.
  • Find a professional in your dream career; he/she will tell you about the struggles as well as the pluses of the field, so you can see with clarity what is ahead of you.
  • Talk to an academic advisor for guidance about the change you are about to make, but also for a detailed explanation of what this change will mean in terms of date of graduation, requirements, etc.
  • When you feel you have a clear understanding of the pros and cons of switching your current major, and if you still want to proceed with it, talk to your parents and provide the justification and what it would entail for you in the short and in the long term, personally and professionally.

A new major can lead you to a more meaningful career and work aligned with your truest self, so don’t panic. Trust yourself, look for guidance and support, and above all be clear about what is at stake before switching to a new major.

I say, go and find your true passion.  “If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary.” —Jim Rhon