Graduate certificate in ape and pbis
- Bachelor's degree and teaching certificate in Physical Education or Special Education.
- One page statement explaining applicant’s interest in this certificate.
- Three professional letters of reference.
This program is offered fully online.
This Interdisciplinary graduate certificate is designed for teaching children with severe disabilities in a combined program structured in a way that allows students to develop professional competencies through the completion of a fully online program. The program prepares teachers to provide quality APE and PBIS services for K-12 children with severe disabilities in APE and SE classes. The program includes 27 credit hours or 9 courses.
Why this program at Western Michigan University
- Program completion leads to endorsement to teach APE for children with severe disabilities in physical education classes and/or provide PBIS service for children with severe disabilities in special education classes (for graduates with a valid teaching certificate in physical education or special education)
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs, such as Discover Croatia and Venice, Italy: Educational System, Sport and Culture and Education and Health in China and Korea.
- We are the only institution in the U.S. that includes an optional co-curricular designation known as the WMU Signature. Pathways include: Teaching & Student Success, Leadership, Health & Wellbeing, Diversity, Inclusion, Equity & Justice, and more!
Who should apply
Current special educators and physical education teachers interested in teaching adapted physical education for children with severe disabilities in physical education classes and/or provide positive behavioral intervention and supports service for children with severe disabilities in special education classes .
The APE and PBIS certificate prepares you for jobs such as:
- Physical Educator
- Behavior Intervention Specialist
Cost & Funding
- College of Education and Human Development
- Academic Advising
- International Admissions and Services
- Graduate College
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus